Monday, October 6, 2008

Writer's Workshop

Questions for Peer Editors:
1. Would this fit one on Zinsser’s forms?
2. Is this cheesy, or weird to read about?
3. Is my punctuation, spelling, and grammar correct?
4. Does it flow okay, and come full circle?
5. Is their good voice?

I hate letting people read my work. I should have added that to the entry where I was describing myself as a writer. SELF CONSCIOUS. I am not sure why it scares me to let other people read my writing. I was especially wary about this one because it was so personal. This workshop, even though uncomfortable for me, was very helpful. All of my questions were answered. As a group we decided that even though all of our papers did fit Zinsser’s forms, even if they didn't it would be alright with us, because just because Zinsser didn't mention it doesn't mean it is not a worthy form. Apparently i shouldn't have worried about this being awkward, because if a teenage boy tells you it made him happy to read about YOUR boyfriend, you must have done at least decently to reach your audience. My group told me I did not cross any invisible boundaries of awkwardness or makes them uncomfortable. They helped me in picking out a few grammar and punctuation errors, which you are very prone to at 3 a.m. I was also told that the voice and flow went nicely, and overall they thought I had a really good paper.

I was sure that they would help me, but I was surprised how much I liked reading their papers also. We did this in High School all the time, but I had known those people forever. I think this helped us get to know some people that we might not have thought we would have anything in common with.

No comments: